If you’re looking for a low-carb meal that will leave you stunned rather than satisfied, this dish is for you. I’m talking tender chicken and a melting mix of herby cheese, all tied together – quite literally – with the ambrosia of our world. Bacon. (On a side note, I do use a chemical-free bacon and free-range chicken).
I served mine with garlic & chilli fried broccoli, pimped with plenty of extra-virgin olive oil and unsalted butter for that luscious shine. Of course, I need to make a shout out to my lovely aunt, who never fails to fill my fridge with home-grown gifts from her garden. Indeed, the basil and chilli flavouring my meal was thanks to her!
If you’re still wondering whether it’s worth the effort: it is. My father rated this as a “cordon bleu” dish. Need I say more?
This recipe can be gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, and nut-free.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
– 30 grams feta, crumbled
– handful basil leaves, shredded
– 2 Tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese
– good grinding black pepper
– handful baby spinach leaves
– 4 small chicken thighs (de-boned)
– 4 rashers streaky bacon, halved lengthwise
– vegetable accompaniments of choice
1. Preheat your oven’s grill (I used fan grill at 200 degres Celsius). Line an oven-proof baking dish with baking paper
2. Mix together the feta, basil, mozzarella, and pepper in a bowl. When it clumps together, divide into four balls.
3. Place the chicken thighs cut-side up on your baking dish, and press a quarter of the leaves on top of each. Top each thigh with a ball of the stuffing, then carefully fold over the chicken to encase it. Use two strips (equivalent to 1 rasher) of bacon to wrap around each thigh.
4. Grill your chicken in the oven for 20-30 minutes, depending on the temperature and setting of your grill (check to see if it is cooked by cutting into the thickest part of un-stuffed chicken). Serve with desired accompaniments, and enjoy! 🙂