My first post from England. I feel a little guilty for having been so absent these last few months, but I’ve been playing around with this recipe for a while and finally found a version I want to share.
Coconut butter is virtually the same as creamed coconut – the latter is incredibly cheap and available at most supermarkets here in the UK. A rich source of satiating fats, it provides a luxurious base without tasting overly strong.
I make this with coconut cream instead of dairy if allergens are an issue. However, if you prefer less of the coconut flavour, go with regular cream.
The slice shown uses a summer berry mix – blueberries, raspberries, red currants, and blackberries. Whichever berries take your fancy are fine, but I particularly like the currants’ tartness here.
This recipe can be gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Makes 9 slices
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus refrigeration)
– 1 block creamed coconut (or 200 grams coconut butter), roughly chopped
– 90 grams 90% dark chocolate (I use Lindt), roughly chopped
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 Tablespoons cream (or coconut cream)
– handful fresh or frozen berries of choice
1. In a medium bowl, microwave the coconut butter on medium power for 1 1/2 minutes. Add the chocolate and stir before returning to the microwave for another minute.
2. Stir the mixture and microwave for another 30 seconds if not fully melted. Once smooth, mix in the vanilla and cream.
3. Pour the mixture into a 15 cm square tin lined with cling film. Sprinkle over the berries and refrigerate until hard. Cut into 9 squares, and enjoy! 🙂
I’m envious 🙂