I’ve probably said it before, but isn’t there something spectacularly dreamy about pistachios? Picture it: a queen or king, reclining on a silk-lined throne, popping each jade morsel into their mouth while date-palm fronds fan them from either side . . .
Putting aside my life goals, let’s get down to business. This slice is darker than an Arabian night – okay, I’ll stop now – and delicately fragranced with coconut. Be sure to use salted, roasted nuts for crunch and depth of flavour.
I’m lucky enough to live a two-minute stroll away from an incredible wholefoods store. Even though I’m not vegetarian, I appreciate the fabulous array of kombucha and dairy-free chocolates. I stumbled across organic cocoa butter drops at a superbly reasonable price here, but if you don’t have access to these, use coconut oil. Be wary, though – your slice won’t be as firm. It will need to live in the freezer.
Or in your mouth.
This recipe can be gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Makes around 16 slices
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus refrigeration)
– 125 grams cocoa butter (chopped or in drops)
– 3 rounded Tablespoons cocoa powder
– sweetener of choice, to taste (I like a couple of spoonfuls of stevia blend)
– pinch coffee powder (to enhance the chocolatey richness!)
– pinch salt
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
– 100 grams roasted and salted pistachios, de-shelled and roughly chopped
1. Place the cocoa butter in a microwave-proof bowl. Melt on medium heat in your microwave for 3-5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds (microwave melting times vary, so keep an eye on it).
2. Tip the cocoa, sweetener, coffee, salt, and vanilla into the liquid cocoa butter. Mix well.
3. Line a lipped plate or circular cake tin (around 20 cm diameter) with tin foil. Pour the chocolate mixture on top, then sprinkle over the coconut and pistachios.
4. Refrigerate (or freeze) until set. Cut into pieces of your desired size, and enjoy while staring at a desert sunset! 🙂