I can’t decide whether this is a drink, a pudding, or an alien. Whatever! It tastes great, has this wonderfully ‘bubbly’ texture, and is so creamy I may faint. Out of happiness.
What’s the secret? Chia seeds! They swell up in the milky coffee to form small, gelatinous beads. Combine these with some chewy flaxseeds and psyllium husks, and you have a dreamily thick drink. Oh, and of course – how could I forget? Whipped cream. And cinnamon. Now we’re talking.
This heavenly creation is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fibre, and calcium from the chia seeds, psyllium, and flaxseeds. If you top this with cream (come on!), you’ll benefit from more fats and calcium. However, if the idea freaks you out too much – cream for breakfast is such a Fizzi thing to do – top with a dollop of Greek yoghurt or whipped coconut cream. Happy?
I drank mine through a straw, which was a pretty cool but spooky experience. If you’re not feeling this, just eat it with a spoon. Well, a teaspoon. Who doesn’t like teaspoons?
This recipe can be gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, vegan, low-carb, egg-free, and nut-free.
Preparation time: 5 minutes (plus refrigeration)
– 1 1/3 cups milk choice
– 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon coffee powder (I used vanilla-flavoured)
– 1 teaspoon psyllium husks
– 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
– just under 1/4 cup chia seeds
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– cinnamon, whipped cream/ coconut cream (or yoghurt), to garnish
1. In a large glass mug or bowl, combine all ingredients except garnishes, and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. The next morning, stir with a fork to disperse the gelled chia. Top as desired, and enjoy! 🙂