I bought a bottle of ‘Natural Caramel Essence’ from the supermarket today – it contains no fructose, although it does have propylene glycol (deemed safe by the World Health Organization and the FDA). If you’re uncertain about using this flavouring, try adding a blob of my “Salted Caramel” instead (see the recipe in “Desserts”).
This is incredibly thick, creamy, and delicious! Guar gum (see my “Weird Ingredients” page) really helps the texture thicken nicely – if you don’t have any, you could try bulking the shake with a bit of protein/ milk powder. Alternatively, add a big blob of cottage cheese for extra protein and calcium.
The cream cheese and caramel combine wonderfully to create sweetness and zing. This shake is full of healthy fats and protein, and fibre, so it will surely satisfy your sweet cravings and keep you full.
There is actually plenty for two servings – but, being at a boarding school, I had nobody to share my random creation with (at home, I usually impose the weirdness on my family!). So, in dire straights, I drank both servings. I know, poor me 😉
This recipe can be gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, low-carb, and nut-free.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
– 100 grams cream cheese, cubed
– 3/4 cup milk of choice
– 1/2 teaspoon caramel essence
– 1/2 teaspoon psyllium husks
– 1/4 teaspoon guar gum
– 1 1/2 trays ice cubes (approximately 20 cubes)
1. In a blender, blitz together the cream cheese, milk, essence, husks, and gum, until completely smooth. Pop in the ice cubes and blend until they are completely broken down. Pour your frosty shake into two glasses and enjoy! 🙂