A wordy title perhaps, but I could not think of another way to convey the utter beauty of this breakfast. Soft, chewy, rich, and smothered in a tangy, peanutty cream. Delicious!
I used quick-cook oats to make mine, but wholegrain or traditional oats would work equally well (in fact, I much prefer them – I had run out!). The texture was sort of fluffy and dense at once, with grainy oats and smooth yoghurt cream. Oh, so good. Then came the crunchy sprinkle of brazil nuts . . .
This breakfast is packed with protein, fats, fibre, and minerals. The peanut butter, yoghurt, and milk provide plenty of protein, while the avocado adds richness, fibre, vitamins, lutein (for your eyes!), and healthy fat. Oats are a good, filling source of carbohydrates. They help prevent Type 2 Diabetes, keep cholesterol levels healthy, and improve insulin sensitivity. Chia seeds and flaxseeds soak up liquid – along with the psyllium husks – and provide omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, and protein.
Does this sound healthy enough yet? Well, I forgot to mention one very important fact. No sweetener! Nope, not even a bit of rice malt syrup or a sprinkling of dextrose. What’s the need? Peanut butter, dairy, cinnamon, and avocado add plenty of sweetness, combating the bitter cocoa.
If you prefer, you can leave out the topping for a dairy-free breakfast. Or you could add a splodge of whipped coconut cream and a drizzle of warmed peanut butter instead – no complaints from me! I forked through a bit more milk before serving to create a fluffier texture, but you can leave it densely gorgeous, too.
This recipe can be gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and egg-free.
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus refrigeration)
– 1/2 small avocado
– 1 Tablespoon peanut butter (I used crunchy!)
– 1-2 Tablespoons cocoa powder, as desired
– 2 Tablespoons unsweetened yoghurt or milk of choice
– 1 teaspoon ground chia seeds
– 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
– 1 teaspoon psyllium husks
– 1/2 cup rolled oats (use gluten-free if required)
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 3/4 cup milk of choice
– optional topping: 1 heaped Tablespoon unsweetened yoghurt plus 1 teaspoon smooth peanut butter
– nuts, extra cinnamon, etc. (to garnish)
1. The night before you want to eat this, mash together the avocado, peanut butter, cocoa, and yoghurt (or milk). Add the rest of the ingredients, except toppings, and stir to combine well. Cover and refrigerate.
2. The next morning, mix together the yoghurt and peanut butter (if using), and spoon this over your soaked oats. Garnish as you like, and enjoy! 🙂