My family recently had a guest from Thailand to stay, Pueng, who was kind enough to teach me a few of her local dishes. Of course, this is nothing close to authentic – rather, it’s Thai-inspired.
Nevertheless, it’s a nice way to experience Asian food if you’re keto or just trying to stave off those carby cravings. Lettuce wraps do nothing to fill you up – let’s be honest – but they do add a fresh crunch. Don’t skip them!
This recipe can be egg-free, nut-free, and dairy-free.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
– 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
– 1-inch knob ginger, peeled and finely sliced
– 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely sliced
– 1 spring onion, finely sliced
– 400 grams beef mince
– 200 grams prawn meat
– 1 long green chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
– 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes (optional)
– 1 beef stock cube, crumbled
– 2 Tablespoons soy sauce (I used mushroom soy sauce)
– 2 Tablespoons lime juice
– 2 teaspoons fish sauce
– 250 grams button mushrooms, washed and quartered
– 1/4 small green cabbage, finely sliced
– 6 washed leaves iceberg lettuce, to serve
1. Warm the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and spring onion, frying until golden. Tip in the mince and cook until mostly browned before throwing in the prawns.
2. Once the prawns are pink, sprinkle over the chillies, stock, soy sauce, lime juice, and fish sauce. Toss in the mushrooms and cabbage, then fry until the mushrooms are tender.
3. To serve, scoop this stir-fry into lettuce leaf ‘bowls’. I topped mine with fried garlic and shallots, as well as chilli sambal! Enjoy 🙂