This recipe I dedicate to my wonderful sister Tess, who is possibly more haloumi-obsessed than I am. I knew we were related for a reason.
Some people like grilled cheese, and I am one of those people. However, sometimes we want more – more flavours, more textures, and more nutrients!
I offer you a dish packed with salty haloumi and paprika-fried chicken, loaded into flaxseed bread (“Low-carb Brown Bread” which can be found in my Breakfast category). I’d strongly suggest slicing the bread more thinly than shown if you’re looking for a lighter meal.
I decided to go with a Greek-style salad to accompany my sandwiches. Feel free to go wild with whichever salad takes your fancy. A little hot sauce – classic Fizzi move here – doesn’t go amiss, either!
This recipe can be gluten-free, grain-free, and nut-free.
Serves 1 – multiply quantities for more people
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
– 2 slices Low-carb Brown Bread (see above)
– melted butter
– 1 slice melt-worthy cheese of choice (I used colby)
– 2-3 slices haloumi cheese, as desired
– 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– freshly ground black pepper
– 1/2 Tablespoon tomato paste
– small handful shredded, pre-cooked chicken
1. Brush one side of each piece of bread with melted butter (these will be the outwards-facing sides). Place the slice of cheese on the (unbuttered) side of one piece of bread.
2. Heat on high a (dry) frying pan before adding the haloumi. Sear each until golden-brown. Arrange over the other cheese.
3. In the same frying pan on a medium heat, add the olive oil, paprika, pepper, and tomato paste. Throw in the chicken and fry until browning.
3. Top the haloumi with this chicken mixture before pressing on the other slice of bread, buttered side outwards. Rinse out your frying pan and heat on high once again. Fry the sandwich, turning after 30 seconds or so to crisp each side. Flaxseeds burn very quickly so be careful here.
4. Microwave the sandwich for 30 seconds if your bread was thick and you think the cheese has not fully melted. Otherwise, serve immediately with salad of choice, and enjoy! 🙂
This looks SO good! I’ve been missing your posts!
I LOVE these!!!