This is so fabulously creamy, chewy, and bubbly! While slurping up my gorgeous, vanilla-scented creation, I was reminded of nothing other than Bubble Tea. Ever tried it? If you have, you’ll know the weirdness of chewy, bubbly tapioca pearls immersed in creamy tea. While this drink is vastly different, it possesses that same loco lure!
As a snack, dessert, or just something to cool you down on a hot day, this is pretty nutritious. Chia seeds add plenty of fibre, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and calcium. Flaxseeds thicken this further and add fibre, protein, and omega-3s, while psyllium superfies this drink with even more fibre! Milk and cream give heaps of protein, fat, and calcium to the mix – so don’t skimp on that fluffy topping!
I love a good dose of cinnamon in this to sweeten and intensify the vanilla flavour. Let the mixture sit in the fridge for up to a day if you like – indeed, the chia will just swell and gell even more!
This recipe can be gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, low-carb, and nut-free.
Preparation time: 5 minutes (plus chilling)
– 1 cup milk of choice
– 1 teaspoon psyllium husks
– 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
– 1 generous Tablespoon chia seeds
– 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, or as desired
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– whipped cream and extra cinnamon, to top
1. Combine all ingredients except toppings in your serving glass. Stir well, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
2. When you are ready to serve, stir the mixture with a fork to disperse the gelled layers that will have formed. Top with cream and cinnamon, and enjoy! 🙂