I love “Carrot Cake Soaked Oats” (see my recipe in “Breakfast”), but there is always something annoying about the gritty bits of grated carrot. Sure, added texture is nice, but sometimes I want a bit of creamy comfort in my life.
Enter this baby. A bowl filled with fibre, healthy carbohydrates, protein, beta-carotene, as well as Vitamins A, C, and K. The sweet spiciness from cinnamon and nutmeg make this wonderfully warming despite coming straight from the fridge . . . does that make sense?
I don’t care. I like my oats cold.
This recipe can be gluten-free, egg-free, and nut-free.
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus cooling and refrigeration)
Cooking time: 2 minutes
– 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
– 1/3 cup rolled oats (use gluten-free if necessary)
– 1/2 teaspoon psyllium husks
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– pinch ground nutmeg
– 1/3 cup unsweetened yoghurt
– 1/3 cup milk of choice
– 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup (I omitted)
– toppings of choice: nuts, seeds, buckwheat groats, cinnamon, yoghurt, etc.
1. The night before you want to eat this, steam or microwave the carrot until tender. Mine took 2 minutes in the microwave, on high power. Allow to cool.
2. Place the carrot with the remaining ingredients in a blender, and blitz until smooth. Pour into your serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, top as desired, and enjoy! 🙂